Rough Map of Alabama 1816
1865 Map of Alabama and Mississippi
Perry County, Alabama
Perry County was created by legislature the 13th of December 1819 and was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a War of 1812 hero.
Perry County's courthouse was originally near the Cahawba River and called the "Old Perry Courthouse" between 1819 - 1822 then later established in Muckle's Ridge in 1822 which is the present day site of the city of Marion.
The Cahawba River in Perry county was thought to be a dividing line between the Choctaw and the Creek Indians with the Choctaw occupying the west side of the River and the Creeks the East.
Perry County is approximately 790 square miles encompassing 475,200 acres.
Links of Interest - Further Reading